2/04/2012

Some tips on how to be an organized teacher


As a teacher do you ever have that feeling that you’ll never be able to get your students tests graded? Or do you panic just to consider your coordinator may decide to take a look at your notes? What about when it’s the end of the term and you haven’t even finished the last lesson, let go establishing some time for the final feedback?
Well, then welcome to the jungle!
I have found myself under those terrible nightmares quite often, but fortunately things have gradually become better and better. That doesn’t mean I am the most organized teacher I know, but I’m happy to realize I’m better than many colleagues and I can even be of some help to those desperate beings.
What I’ve being doing is simply sticking into a routine. That may sound quite obvious, but for a disorganized person, thinking on doing things on a regular basis may sound boring, but otherwise it would be extremely hard to take care of things.
To help you out you may consider having a diary or agenda where you write everything down. It’s ok to use your cell phone or computer for that too but make sure you’ll check it out later. I prefer the diary because I can not only write things but allocate important papers, stick something more urgent or even keep some money. Also, I use my diary in class to write down quick notes on a student’s reading efficiency, for example. If some student it o make an oral presentation, where better to schedule it?
Another thing that may help you into being an organized teacher is to never let things pile up. Students have turned in their compositions? So, start grading them as soon as possible. I mean it! This may be when your other class is writing the same texts. Or, while you wait for another class to start. It’s ok if you don’t get to finish all of them, but you have available time to check only one, that’s less one! Good for you! Same for tests or reviews.
Never lack checking the attendance. Don’t trust your memory. If you’ve forgotten to check the attendance how do you know you’ll remember all students who were present at your class on that day? Also, you’ll be pilling up again.
Have your classes planned on specific days like on Saturdays or Mondays or when you think it’s more appropriate. Even if you feel tired I believe it’s better to have everything programmed beforehand. That way you won’t waste time having to find materials on the last minute. Some minutes before your class you may simply take a look on what you have planned previously giving you the chance to even have something changed. Never miss your lunch hour anymore!
Have your lesson plans typed. If you have the same level or book on a following semester it will be way easier to change something rather having to elaborate everything again. We teachers are never satisfied with old things but having things already planned may even fit your need to change in an easier way.
Have separate folders to organize your class materials. Think of them as an investment. Categorize your things into units, grammar points, level, type of activity or whatever works best for you. If you need to follow a course book, I suggest separating into units. If you work with different levels choose a color for each one.
Use every free minute in the institution to help you by finding things you haven’t done yet. It’s always funnier and more relaxing to chat with your peers, but isn’t it better to chat with your family later? Or even your co-workers, this time at a bar, a party?
Truth is teachers are always teachers and even if you are at that party you’ll be thinking about your students, or on how you would use that song you’re listening to as a warm up activity, and you may even run to the computer just to find those lyrics on google, but that’s a decision you’d take, not an obligation because you’re out of time.
The more organized you are the more free time you’ll have. These are the simple things I’ve been doing and which have helped me a lot. What are your tips?
Check list for being an organized teacher:
-          Am I preparing my classes properly?
-          Am I grading my students’ papers as soon as they turn them in?
-          Am I categorizing my class materials?
-          Are my lessons plans typed?
-          Am I checking the attendance on class?
-          Am I writing things down on a diary?
                                                                                                                                    Good luck!

No comments: